Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Contact Us: 913-764-1415News Feed

Be prepared for flea and tick season

March 14, 2010 by  
Filed under Pet Care Library

flea life cycleBe prepared.  Flea and tick season is back! These pesky parasites are not only uncomfortable for your pet, but also have the ability to transmit disease.  Prevention is the key to control of fleas and ticks. DO NOT wait until you see fleas or ticks on your pet’s skin to begin treatment.  This could result in a major flea or tick infestation. Adult fleas live on your pet and use your pet’s blood for nourishment.  Fleas are fast and efficient reproducers.  The female flea will begin laying eggs as soon as 24 hours of feeding on your pet.  She can lay 40-50 eggs per day.  The eggs fall off of your pet to lay in the carpet, bedding, soil.  The flea eggs develop into flea larvae, pupa, and then the adult stage. The entire flea cycle can range from 2 weeks to several months depending on the environmental conditions. In general, the adult fleas you see on your pet represent only about 5 percent of the flea population.  The other 95% resides in the immature stages.  Therefore it is extremely important to control the reproduction of the flea or to kill it before it has a chance to reproduce. Ticks are another blood-sucking parasite that are common to this region.  Ticks are also irritating to your pet and are responsible for transmitting serious diseases. Please ask us for a flea and tick preventative recommendation that best meets the needs of your pet.

Vectra 3D

  • Vectra 3D Tube_purpleMonthly topical application
  • Kills adult fleas within 6 hours of application
  • IGR prevents development of immature flea stages
  • Repels and kills ticks and mosquitoes
  • DOGS ONLY

Comfortis

  • Beef-flavored, chewable tablet
  • Kills fleas in 30 minutes
  • Lasts 1 month
  • Dogs only

Frontline Plus

  • Monthly topical application
  • Effective against adult fleas, flea eggs and ticks
  • Dogs and cats

Revolution

  • Monthly Topical Application
  • Prevents Heartworm disease, roundworms, and hookworms
  • Flea preventative
  • Dogs and cats

Remember to treat all members of your pet household!

Share

Comments

3 Responses to “Be prepared for flea and tick season”

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. […] Be prepared for flea and tick season | Olathe Animal Hospital […]

  2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Marc Knight and Dennis Larson, Stan Wagner. Stan Wagner said: RT @oaholathe: Be Prepared for Flea and Tick Season http://olatheanimalhospital.com/1308/be-prepared-for-flea-and-tick-season/ […]

  3. […] This post was Twitted by cruiseschedules […]